Friday, June 15, 2018

Not Good Enough or More Than Enough?


                Dear Reader have you ever felt like you’re not good enough? Have these thoughts run through your mind? I’m not good enough for that job? I’m not good enough for that degree? I’m not good enough for that man? Have you ever said to yourself I deserve no better than this in a situation that you couldn’t get out of? Have you been in an abusive relationship and said I deserve no better than this? Have you been in a dead end job and thought you were not good enough for a different one? Have you felt like you’re not a good enough daughter, wife, sister, son, husband or brother?

                I struggle with not feeling good enough. I don’t think I deserve the amazing job I have because I feel someone else is better suited for it. Don’t get me wrong I love what I do but I wonder sometimes am I good enough? I struggle with thinking I could be a better daughter, a better sister, a better friend, a better girlfriend (when I’m dating). When do we ever get to that moment where we feel good enough?

                Can I share something with you? I was in a good situation where everything was flowing well. People were encouraging me, praising me and in the moment it blessed me. I even felt like I deserved the encouragement and praise I was receiving. However, when I got in my car to go home a fleeting thought passed through my mind. It’s not enough. Can I just deviate for a moment? Isn’t it like the enemy to come in with a fleeting though and keep on moving? So I thought about it for a moment and because I believed the encouragement and praise was a blessing from God, I realized that by feeling like what I had been given that day was not enough then I was telling God that he wasn’t enough.

                Whew, chew on that for a moment. Thinking that God is not good enough to fulfill our heart’s desires or give us what we need. I said to God, O Lord really? Am I saying you’re not good enough? Dear reader that’s exactly what I was saying. By saying the gift he had given me was not enough I was saying God wasn’t enough. So that floored me and I felt humbled in that I’m grateful God let me see that I felt that way. Have you ever been there? I definitely have.

                So God peeled back the layers on this whole idea that I’m not good enough. It stems from a fear of abandonment from childhood that abandonment led to people pleasing, which led to not feeling good enough for anyone or any position I find myself in to ultimately believing God is not good enough. That’s no where I want to be but I am there in the moment.

                So on the drive home I prayed about this and I got to this resolution: it is more than enough. The job I have is perfect for my personality it is more than enough. God calls me precious, beloved and loved, I am a child of God I am more than enough. God chose me for the specific purpose he has for me. God is way more than enough, he has provided for me my whole life, he breathed life into me. Jesus’ atoning sacrifice for my sins is way more than enough. The Holy Spirit residing inside of me, his soul with mine, is way more than enough. My family is more than enough. My friends are more than enough. The church I attend is more than enough.

                What if instead of saying I’m not good enough we said I am more than enough? Couldn’t our lives be changed?

                 Wouldn’t things turn around in our favor if we would just change our attitude and start speaking life and love into our own souls?


                   I encourage you to say out loud, I am more than enough, a very important person is listening as you say these words…YOU. You need to hear it for yourself. There is no one that can help your negative self-talk but you. I could give you all the encouragement in the world but if you don’t receive it you will not benefit from it.

                Dear readers I so want you to be free from any bondage in your life. So I will leave you with two scriptures to chew on:

                The second half of this scripture is always quoted, but it usually leaves out the first. I bet you’re familiar with the part that’s always quoted.

                Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said I will never leave you nor forsake you. Hebrews 13:5

                One thing I realized about not feeling good enough is feeling like what I have is not good enough. Let me say that at a deeper level, it’s like we’re telling God what you have given me is not good enough Lord. I need something bigger, something better. Let me tell you if you are not a good steward over something small that you have it will not bless you to have something bigger. God gives us an increase when we are able to bear it.

                 And he said unto me, my grace is sufficient for thee: for my power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Corinthians 12:9.

For more scripture to meditate on I encourage you to look at 2 Corinthians 12:7-11.

It is when we are humble that we receive the Lord’s greatest blessings.

Genuinely Yours,

Amy Z

No comments:

Post a Comment