Friday, May 22, 2020

The Distance Between Us

Who came up with the term “social distancing”? Did they know the weight of it? Did they know the burden it would bear? Did they know what we would lose? Did it far outweigh what we gained?

                Our loss is tangible. What’s missing? The touch of a mother’s hand across her child’s cheek. The beauty of a smile now hidden underneath. A handshake when meeting someone for the first time. A hug between two well met friends. The embrace of a loved one. A greeting hello. The silence is deafening. People don’t talk to each other now. They avoid eye contact as if we could catch the virus with our eyes. Fear runs rampant in the streets. Toilet paper flies off the shelves and it leaves us wondering how did we get here and when are we going to get back what we lost? We can’t. Life will never be the same. I don’t know what will be different but it will never be the same. I will never be the same. Who I am today is not who I was two months ago when this all started. I thought the virus was something far away from me and before I knew it my workplace was closed to the public. Before I knew it masks had to be worn everywhere you went and I didn’t even know what COVID19 was. Now everything I do is marred by antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, hand washing, masks everything that is supposed to keep me safe is locking people out of my life. Fear runs rampant but there’s also the careful balance of love and good deeds. Not only have we lost there are things we’ve gained. Kindness is also running rampant. People are meeting in cars in the parking lots of hospitals praying for the staff. People are doing car dance parties to provide some entertainment in the monotony of staying inside. Children are making pizzas and delivering them for first responders. Loved ones and teachers of high school graduates are bringing signs of congratulations and staying outside encouraging their grads. (Insert here) the acts of kindness you’ve witnessed. There’s the careful balance of the good and the bad.

It’s given me an appreciation for so much in my life. One thing I am most grateful for is my relationship with God. He loves me so much and he’s protecting me from the virus. I bet you’re wondering where is God in all this? Consider the following scripture.

 

And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? Shall they not both fall into the ditch? Luke 6:39

Study note in my bible, This parable is a warning about following the wrong person. Spiritually blind leaders mislead disciples (Holman KJV Study Bible 2012).

God is the one leading us but so often we turn to others and follow their ways. Are we the blind during this virus? I think we are blind to what God is trying to do in us during this time. He’s working so many things out of my heart. I have a new found appreciation for my employer and my staff. I appreciate where I’m at in my walk with God. I have battled anxiety for years and I’m at the finish line of anxiety; I can see the end of it. It used to be a mountain in front of me and now it’s a pebble in my shoe, something so small I can kick it out of the way as I run the race. I’m working in a different department during this time helping with clerical work. It has me doing filing mostly and it is pretty easy. I feel like it’s a nice break from being in charge because I’m the boss where I normally work. However, I love what I do. I feel it is a calling on my life and I can’t wait to get back to being in charge again because God called me to be a leader. But during this time I’m taking a step back and listening more than I speak. I want to see what can I hear when I let go of the distraction of my ego.

So what’s life after COVID19 going to look like? We will never get back to life the way it was but do we really want to? There are plenty of things I miss but people no longer have the distractions of life weighing them down. People are probably communicating more now than they ever have with all the extra time at home. I don’t know what post COVID19 life looks like. I don’t know how long it’s going to take but I pray that I don’t forget the lessons I’ve learned. I never want to take life for granted ever again.

When this is all over I’m going to hug everyone I know and I’m gonna hold on a little bit longer because I want them to feel the love I have for them. I can’t wait to get back to church and see how my church family is doing. I can’t wait to go to the movies and get some movie popcorn.

What about you dear reader? What do you miss most? What’s the first thing you’re going to do once it’s all over? What have you learned during this time? Please share your thoughts with me.

Genuinely Yours,

Amy Z


No comments:

Post a Comment