Friday, November 20, 2020

My Defender

         So I got to thinking about an old defense mechanism that I’ve been using to keep at bay from feeling the effects of fear of rejection. I tend to be less transparent with my loved ones than I am here in this blog. I want to share how I feel with my loved ones and let them hear my opinions. This hasn’t been easy for me because it’s such an old habit this mechanism that I do it without consciously thinking about it. So it got me thinking about God and how God is our defender. He goes before us, beside us, behind us and within us.

What is a defense mechanism? According to healthline.com: Defense mechanisms are behaviors people use to separate themselves from unpleasant events, actions, or thoughts. This is definitely what I do when I shy away from being transparent. So this defense mechanism no longer serves me well.

So God is my defender. God shows up during our deepest troubles and rescues us. There’s a powerful story in the bible about Elisha the prophet being surrounded by enemies. His servant was afraid and questioned what they would do. Watch how powerful a protector God is.

14 Therefore he sent horses and chariots and a great army there, and they came by night and surrounded the city. 15 And when the servant of the man of God arose early and went out, there was an army, surrounding the city with horses and chariots. And his servant said to him, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?” 16 So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” 17 And Elisha prayed, and said, “Lord, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. 2 Kings 6:14-17 NKJV

Elisha was given the ability to see the army surrounding him. He was then able to pray for his servant to see the army too. So often we see things that God is doing and don’t share them with others. We should pray for others to see the ways God is at work in our lives. It’s so awesome that God protected his prophet in this way.

So what does it look like for us to see God as our defender? Let’s look at some verses.

So David wrote this psalm after God rescued him from the hands of Saul and his army.

I will love You, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the Lordwho is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:1-3 NKJV

God is the strength of our lives. He gives us everything we need when we need it.

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1 NKJV

God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Psalm 46:1-2 NKJV

And God told Joshua what to do when leading the people of Israel. We can take this to heart as well.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 NKJV

One final thought:

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31 NKJV

What is God defending you from?

Share it with me.

I’m listening.

Genuinely Yours,

Amy Z

No comments:

Post a Comment