Sunday, March 7, 2021

The Masks We Leave Behind

           So I got to thinking when the Covid Pandemic is over we will finally be able to leave the face masks behind. It got me thinking what other masks can we leave behind? Maybe just maybe we could leave behind our pretenses, our hidden agenda, our ulterior motives. Maybe we could leave behind our false smiles, our hidden pain. Maybe we could leave behind our neediness to be perfect. Maybe we can be a new creation in Christ and leave our old baggage behind. Maybe we can leave the past behind and face the dawning of the day. Maybe, just maybe, we can shed our masks like old skins and just be who we are flawed and perfectly wonderful just as we are.  

So this week I had a challenge that I had to face. God shined a light on some old hurt that I didn’t even know I was holding on to and I was able to let it go. It got me thinking about how God reveals the darkness in our hearts not to hurt us but to heal us. Much like the masks we have to leave behind so too do we have to leave the darkness behind. I had a situation where something I perceived as initially negative I can look at it as positive because it revealed some darkness in my heart. I’m able to see it through the lens of correction. Through the lens of pruning. Through the lens of growth.

Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” John 8:12

Jesus lives within in us. Therefore we should have no fellowship with darkness. But sometimes we do. I have prayed for God to send me to the deepest darkest places and he showed me that the deepest darkest places are in the heart. So when I go to minister God’s word I need to allow Jesus to shine his light into that person’s darkest places in their heart. Don’t get me wrong. I know my heart has some places that I haven’t allowed the Lord to show up in. I’m a work in progress. We all are. Will you allow God to shed his light into the darkest places of your heart and be healed? Do you have the faith to believe that God will do it?

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light. Ephesians 5:8

Can you allow that light to move in your heart? Can you allow old baggage to be removed? Can you walk in light and let the light of Christ shine out of your heart? Why does he move upon our hearts and remove the darkness? So we can be fully activated for God’s kingdom.

                I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ Acts 26:17-18

It is to turn us from Satan and toward God. Wow. Let that sink in. When we are in darkness we are under the power of Satan. God has brought us out of the darkness of death into the light of eternal life.

To give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death, To guide our feet into the way of peace. Luke 1:79

What does being in the light bring us? Peace.

For You will light my lamp; The Lord my God will enlighten my darkness. Psalm 18:28

Where does the light come from? The Lord.

The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. Romans 13:12

Who puts on the armor of light? We do.

The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light, And upon those who sat in the region and shadow of death Light has dawned. Matthew 4:16

God has shined his light into our lives. Can we let that light shine out of our hearts and bring an encouraging word to someone?

How can you be the light of Christ in someone’s life this week?

Share it with me.

I’m here.

I’m listening.

Genuinely Yours,

Amy Z

1 comment:

  1. I don't know who you are. But God used you to speak to me today.

    ReplyDelete