Sunday, December 6, 2020

Do Not Be Anxious

             Have you ever felt anxious about something and well-meaning friends say Don’t be anxious you’ll be fine? These words hold little to no comfort. Because it’s a surface level answer to a heart level problem. Many of you know I struggle with anxiety. From big things like what will I do when my parents die? To small things like what if the flag gets stuck on the rocks and I can’t get it down? We have a flag at work that we put up every day. These anxieties produce only fear and trepidation. They are with me when I lay down and sometimes they pop up right when I wake up. The anxiety is with me. Do you know who else is with me? Jesus. His word says, let your heart not be troubled neither let it be afraid. John 14:27b

Why is Jesus so confident with his words? Because his confidence is not in himself it is in God the Father. I tend to rest my confidence in my own efforts and not in the Lord. It makes me anxious when I think of doing things by myself instead of with the Lord. We can take comfort in knowing the Lord is with us and he never leaves us. So in order to address a heart level problem we must go to the Lord for guidance.

Let’s look at what God’s word says about anxiety.

Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. Psalm 55:22.

A burden is a heavy load and boy do the anxious thoughts weigh me down. To sustain means to strengthen or support physically or mentally. So this verse deals with our thoughts we are not lifting a real thing with our hands but we definitely get weighed down by heavy thoughts. So this verse is saying God will strengthen us mentally. I encourage you to memorize scripture and when the anxieties come battle it with the truth of God’s word. It works, believe me I’ve tried it time and time again. One scripture I hold onto is God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

I’m almost through the struggle with the anxiety. It used to be a mountain in front of me, then it was a pebble and now it’s a grain of sand. That’s a big improvement in my book and I’m so grateful that the anxiety is less and less.

So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. Give all your worries and cares to God for he cares about you. 1 Peter 5:6-7 NLT

God can take your worries upon himself. He can bear your burdens. He cares so deeply for us. He cherishes us and he’s willing to take all our cares upon himself. Can you surrender your worries to Jesus? It helps.

Finally the scripture that is quoted all the time is Philippians 4:6-7

 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

God hears our cries for relief from our mental anguish and he provides peace in those moments. I just encourage you to give your fear and anxiety to the Lord and he will strengthen you.

What scripture helps you with your anxiety?

I’m here.

                I’m listening.

Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. Proverbs 12:25 NLT

Genuinely Yours, 

Amy Z

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou Amy for sharing this word, it is encouraging & uplifting because it's so easy to get caught up in our emotions, but Jesus reminds us that His perfect love casts out All fear. Keep blessing people with whatever God impresses upon your heart & you will see the fruits of your labor will be rewarded. Love you Sister 💕🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Thank you so much for reading it. Thank you for your kind words. I love writing for God and will continue to share. I live that the fruits of my labor will be rewarded it's so true. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete